11th International Workshop on Adverse Drug Reactions and Comorbidities in HIV (IWADR) 26-28 October 2009, Philadelphia
1 October 2009. Related: Conference reports, Side effects, Conference index, Lipodystrophy Workshop (IWADRW) 11 Philadelphia 2009.
The newly named 11th International Workshop on Adverse Drug Reactions and Co-morbidities in HIV was held this year from 26–28 October 2009 in Philadelphia. The workshop has expanded its earlier focus on lipodystrophy to include coinfection, particularly hepatitis and age-related morbidities including bone, cardiovascular, oncology and neurocognitive complications.
The format for the workshop continues to provide a focused forum for the range of metabolic complications but also recognises that these symptoms are becoming more difficult to view in isolation.
Reports from the meeting this year include:
- Intermuscular tissue is decreased in HIV infection
- High incidence and risk factors for diabetes in French cohort
- Gender and race differences in lipodystrophy symptoms
- Lipodystrophy is common in children from three European cohorts
- Visceral adipose tissue returns to baseline after stopping therapeutic rHGH
- Reduced levels of vitamin D in patients taking efavirenz
- Association between inflammation and sleep apnea in the MACS cohort
- Sports supplements impact on serum creatinine and eGFR markers of renal function
Webcasts from the meeting are due to be posted to the conference website shortly.