Talk – essential to getting the best care
This page is part of Pocket ART, an easy guide to HIV treatment.
It sounds obvious but talking is important
This is still the most direct way for your doctor to understand how you are feeling.
This includes anything that you are worried about.
Mild side effects are sometimes easy to manage but anything more serious should be something to actively try to change.
In many cases, if you have side effects there will be choices that are better than just putting up with them.
- You do not have to prove anything to yourself.
- You do not have to prove anything to doctor.
- You do not have to prove anything to HIV.
Sometimes talking to your doctor is not easy. The might be limited time, you might mis understand each other. Your doctor might explain something in a ways that it still difficult to understand. Or your doctor might not understand how badly the symptoms are affecting you.
The information in the links below should help.
- Getting the best from your clinic – negotiating healthcare
- You and your doctor
- How to talk to your doctor about side effects
- Side effects diary
- How side effects are graded