A not-for-profit community journal that reviews the most important advances in the clinical management of HIV and access to treatment.
September/October 2014: Volume 15 Number 9/10
Reports from the 54th ICAAC and IAS 2014 conferences, newly approved drugs for HIV and hepatitis C, new UK guidelines for pregnancy and PEP, plus a potential new approach for PML...
54th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), 5-9 September 2014, Washington, DC
Highlights from ICAAC 2014 include new ARVs, side effects, HIV in the lung and links to extensive coverage from natap.org
20th International AIDS Conference, 20-25 July 2014, Melbourne
Final but important reports from IAS 2014 include UK PrEP, BMI and CVD risk, HIV and COPD, and reasons for low uptake of Option B+ in Malawi...
Immunotherapy for PML: two case reports using IL-7 and experimental recombinant JCV VP1 protein therapeutic vaccination
Experimental approach to PML that may be applicable for HIV positive people...
HIV reinfection has limited impact on disease progression
Review of cohort of people with HIV reinfection suggest little clinical implications so long as drug resistance is not an issue...
HTB supplement: 2014 Pipeline Report
Annual review of advances in HIV, HCV and TB: new drugs,strategies and vaccine research
Editor: Simon Collins. Contributing editor: Polly Clayden. ISSN 1472-4863.
Subscriptions are free — by post, email and online.
Each issue of HTB is circulated for comments to our medical review board.
- UK PROUD study to provide PrEP earlier than expected: planned follow-up to continue to two years 16 October 2014.
- September/October 2014: Volume 15 Number 9/10 1 October 2014.
- 54th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), 5-9 September 2014, Washington, DC 1 October 2014.
- Antiretroviral studies at ICAAC 2014: darunavir-based FDC with TAF, cobicistat, doravirine, Stribild and gel formulation PrEP 1 October 2014.
- Switch from efavirenz to rilpivirine quells CNS toxicity, improves sleep 1 October 2014.
- HIV persists in lung macrophages of people on suppressive ART 1 October 2014.
- Only 10% of veterans with HCV or HCV/HIV in the US treated for HCV 1 October 2014.
- 20th International AIDS Conference, 20-25 July 2014, Melbourne 1 October 2014.
- Update on baseline STIs in UK oral PrEP study (PROUD) 1 October 2014.
- High prevalence of COPD at baseline in START study sub-study 1 October 2014.
- Risk of CVD or type-2 diabetes according to change in BMI after starting ART 1 October 2014.
- Rosuvastatin may be partially effective in moderating residual immune activation on ART 1 October 2014.
- Reasons for loss to follow up in the Malawi Option B+ programme 1 October 2014.
- Single-pill dolutegravir/abacavir/3TC (Triumeq) approved in EU and US 1 October 2014.
- Cobicistat and elvitegravir approved in the US as single pills 1 October 2014.
- Positive opinion to approve of darunavir/cobicistat in Europe 1 October 2014.
- UK updates PEP guidelines: raltegravir replaces PIs and no indication if positive partner has an undetectable viral load 1 October 2014.
- BHIVA pregnancy guidelines: 2014 interim update 1 October 2014.
- US HIV guidelines for management of chronic kidney disease (IDSA, 2014) 1 October 2014.
- Raltegravir pharmacokinetics in pregnancy and neonates 1 October 2014.