Your HIV questions answered
Has my question already been answered?
Your HIV treatment questions answered
i-Base can answer any question about HIV treatment. This is a service for HIV positive people.
The answer will be personal to your situation. We use everyday language. Information is based on latest treatment guidelines and research.
Questions are answered by a team of treatment advocates at i-Base. We are NOT doctors or nurses. Any information we provide is to be used in discussion with your doctor. (See: Who answers these questions?).
Answers are based on best available evidence and references are included when appropriate.
With over 3000 questions online, organised into over 30 categories, your answer may already be here.
Check the date of previous answers! – guidelines change and older answers may only be accurate for time they were posted.
Posting comment online
Most questions we answer online include the option to post comments.
This is a chance to give your own perspective and experience. It is a chance to develop an interactive discussion.
HON code require that the following information is available about posting comments.
- All comments are moderated by one of the advocates employed by i-Base.
- We aim to moderate comments every week, often this is more frequent.
- Comments that are not related to the original post may be posted as new questions.
- Please only include information that you are happy to be read online by anyone.
- Unless stated otherwise, all comments are from non-medical professionals.
- Comments may be edited for clarity, style or meaning.
- We reserve the right not to post information that is misleading or inaccurate.
- Abusive comments, spam or commercial advertising will not be posted online. Please be honest and post respectful comments.
- If you are unhappy about a comment you have posted, please email us if you would like it removed.
- The guidelines are based on those for an HON code forum that also suggest ways to make your post relevant and friendly.
This Q&A service is not for questions about HIV testing or the risks of transmission.
If you have a question about catching HIV, risks or testing please read this FAQ page on HIV transmission and testing. It will answer most questions.
A new Guide to sexual transmission and HIV testing contains more detailed information. Please read this resource. It will also answer your questions.
If you have symptoms you need to visit a doctor. We are not doctors and we cannot diagnose health conditions by email or online.
Other ways we can help
- Treatment questions can also be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us on 0808 800 6013 Mon, Tues, Wed 12-4 pm.
- Write to HIV i-Base, 4th Floor, 57 Great Suffolk Street, London, SE1 0BB.
- Our guides to combination therapy explain HIV treatment in non-technical language
Your feedback and suggestions are always appreciated.
Last updated: 5 May 2015.