Your HIV questions answered
Has my question already been answered?
We answer questions about HIV treatment
i-Base can answer any question about HIV treatment. If we don’t know the answer we will research it. And if there is no clear answer we will tell you.
We are sorry that we do NOT answer questions about HIV TESTING or about HIV TRANSMISSION - see: Why doesn’t i-Base answer questions on HIV testing and transmission?
Any information we provide is to be used in discussion with your doctor. Questions are answered by a team of treatment advocates at i-Base. We are NOT doctors or nurses – see: Who answers these questions?.
We use everyday language to answer your question personally. The more information you include about your situation, the better we can do this. For example, it helps to include your current CD4 count, whether you are on treatment and how long you have been HIV positive etc.
It is especially helpful to know your country. This is because guidelines and treatment are different in different parts of the world.
Please check whether your question is already been answered.
Information we provide is based on latest treatment guidelines and research. Answers are based on best available evidence and references are included when appropriate.
Over 3000 questions are already answered online. These are organised into over 30 categories. Your answer may already be here.
Check the date of previous answers! – guidelines change and older answers may only be accurate for time they were posted.
Posting comments online
Most questions that are answered online include the option to post comments.
This is a chance to give your own perspective and experience. It is a chance to develop an interactive discussion.
HON code require that the following information is available about posting comments.
- All comments are moderated by one of the advocates employed by i-Base.
- We aim to moderate comments every week, often this is more frequent.
- Comments that are not related to the original post may be posted as new questions.
- Please only include information that you are happy to be read online by anyone.
- Unless stated otherwise, all comments are from non-medical professionals.
- Comments may be edited for clarity, style or meaning.
- We reserve the right not to post information that is misleading or inaccurate.
- Abusive comments, spam or commercial advertising will not be posted online. Please be honest and post respectful comments.
- If you are unhappy about a comment you have posted, please email us if you would like it removed.
- The guidelines are based on those for an HON code forum.
THIS Q&A SERVICE IS NOT FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT HIV TESTING OR HIV TRANSMISSION.
If you have a question about catching HIV, risks or testing please read this FAQ page on HIV transmission and testing. It will answer most questions.
Our Guide to sexual transmission and HIV testing contains more detailed information. This resource will also answer your questions.
If you have symptoms you need to contact a doctor. We are not doctors and we cannot diagnose health conditions by email or online.
Other ways we can help
- Treatment questions can also be sent by email to email@example.com
- Call us on 0808 800 6013 Mon, Tues, Wed 12-4 pm.
- Write to HIV i-Base, 107 The Maltings, 169 Tower Bridge Road, London SE1 3LJ.
- Our guides to combination therapy explain HIV treatment in non-technical language
Your feedback and suggestions are always appreciated.
Last updated: 1 February 2017.