Question

Do ARVs cause fertility problems?

I’m having problems with conceiving, is it because I’m on medication?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

ARVs aren’t known to cause fertility problems in women.

If you’ve been trying for a while, please talk to your doctor who can help.

Hi Precious J,
    ARVs aren’t known to cause fertility problems in men. So it’s great that you and your husband are trying for a baby. But have you talked to the clinic about it? This might include talking about the best time during your cycle for getting pregnant. And also about testing to see whether anything else can help.

2. Precious J

Hi my husband age 48 have been on arvs for 16 years now we have been trying for a baby almost 2 years now nothing happenin, could this be caused by treatment or something else? Please advice

3. Simon Collins

Hi Promise, it is great you are on meds now and want to have a baby. The HIV meds will not be affected whether you become pregnant though. Please talk to your doctor about your plans who can talk about other things that can help. This might include talking about the best time during your cycle for getting pregnant, but also testing to see whether anything else can help. Sometimes fertility treatment night be available, if appropriate.
    http://i-base.info/guides/pregnancy/is-fertility-treatment-available-to-hiv-positive-people

4. promise

my name is promise and I have been HIV for 6 years. my problem is that i have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years now and I am
    on HIV medication. what can i do?