These pages outline a recent course that i-Base ran for Positively UK. The numbered buttons at the bottom of the page link to each of the five sessions.
Session 1: Introduction to HIV treatment and setting course priorities
- HIV monitoring tests: CD4 and viral load
- Serodifferent couples: how can one person be positive and the other negative?
- Drug levels in different sites: e.g. brain, genital tract etc.
Topics highlighted for future sessions:
- Treatment strategies (including BHIVA guidelines and PI monotherapy)
- Cure research
- Drug interactions – including methadone and recreational drugs
- HIV and ageing
- Long term safety
- Brain function (how it relates to HIV and HIV drugs
- New drugs/ pipeline
- Side effects
- Different drug classes and how they work