- Descovy the tradename for a fixed dose combination pill of tenofovir alafenamide (TAF) plus emtricitabine (FTC).
- Standard adult dose is one tablet, once-daily.
- Two dose formulations are available with different TAF doses: 10 mg and 25 mg. Both formulations also contain 200 mg FTC.
- Descovy was approved in both the US and the EU in April 2016.
- TAF is similar to drug tenofovir-DF (TDF) but has fewer side effects relating to kidney function and reduced bone density.
- TAF/TFC is approved in the UK, mainly for people who are unable to use TDF because of concerns for kidney or bone toxicity.
The European patient leaflet and detailed Product Information for Truvada are available in PDF format from this link at the European Medicines Agency (EMA) website.
The Patient Information is a simplified summary: what the drug is, why it is used, results from studies and cautions including side effects.
The Product Information is a detailed technical summary that you can access as a PDF file by clicking the ‘Product Information’ tab. It describes more precisely how the drug works and how it is processed by your body. This includes, for example, reported food interaction studies in terms of calories or fat content. It includes more details of the study results and a full list of side effects and drug interactions.