Question

My baby is on nevirapine and I’m breastfeeding, is my baby positive?

Answer

Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on having your baby.

It is normal for your baby to be given a short course (4 weeks) of HIV treatment (such as nevirapine) when born. This doesn’t mean your baby is HIV positive. This will be checked later through testing. A different type of testing is also used on babies as the normal antibody test used in adults will show the baby as positive.

Our guide on pregnancy has lots more information

http://i-base.info/guides/pregnancy

Do you mind me asking if you are taking HIV treatment for your health?

In the UK, the BHIVA (British HIV Association) guidelines recommend bottle feeding.

This is because in countries where mothers can have access to to formula milk AND clean water ANDĀ bottle sterilising equipment, the risk of transmitting HIV to the baby through bottle feeding is zero. There are different recommendations for other countries though and many women breastfeed. I am not sure about the recommendations in Zambia.

This means that you are doing the best that you can to protect your baby.

However, being positive and looking after a new born baby can be hard and many people need help. Do you have much support around you to help or are you touch with good care from your doctor?

Hi Moregrace,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

It sounds like your doing all you can to protect your baby. But please talk to the doctor about giving him any other meds or supplements.

The doctors and nurses can give you the best advice and help for feeding your baby.

2. Moregrace

Hi I gave birth on the 31July and positive. My baby is on cipla nevirapine but struggling with gas so want to ask if I can give him reuterina drops. I am breastfeeding by the way

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *