Question

I’ve just resently started treatment, is my partner at risk?

I’ve been dating a guy for 4 year and I’m HIV positive. We’ve never used a condom and he’s circumcised. Is it possible that he could still have contracted HIV from me? I’ve just resently started medication, this was because I’m pregnant.

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you’ve been having sex without a condom when you weren’t on treatment there is a risk that your partner is HIV positive. Therefore, heĀ  is going to need to test. This is important for this own health.
If his test result is negative, this is great. However, until your viral load is undetectable you’re going to need to use condoms because there is a risk of transmission, this is even if your partner is circumcised.

Hi Eunice,

That’s well above the average adult CD4 count.

A new born baby can have CD4 count around 2,000 to 3,000. But have you checked with the clinic that they’ve given you the correct result?

Do you have access to your CD4 percentage and your viral load results? And what HIV meds are you taking.

2. Eunice

I am positive and my cd4 count is 2894 is it normal or abnormal?

Hi Farida,

HIV treatment can dramatically reduce viral load by about 90% in the first few days. But how long it takes each of us to get to undetectable can rely on various factors. These are factors such as how high your viral load was when you started, and what HIV meds you are taking.

Guidelines here in the UK for how long you need to be undetectable before you can stop using condoms is 6 months. But this is likely to be cautious because it’s based on little data. Please see this Q&A. So these guidelines might easily change in the future.

Do you have access to you viral load results? What was it when you started treatment? And what meds are you taking?

4. Farida

When I was diagnosed HIV positive my partner was negative I just started medications due to my unborn child… We are currently using condoms during intercourse for how long will we use condoms… Because am not also happy about that? How long can I take medicine for my viral to be undetectable? Also will I give birth through vaginal process??Will I breastfed my baby?

Hi Shalane,

Yes that’s right, not-detected means undetectable. Having an undetectable viral load means it is less than 50 copies/mL.

Are you on HIV treatment? What meds are you taking?

6. Shalane

I tested HIV positive what does not-detected means is it the same undetected