Question

I’ve just resently started treatment, is my partner at risk?

I’ve been dating a guy for 4 year and I’m HIV positive. We’ve never used a condom and he’s circumcised. Is it possible that he could still have contracted HIV from me? I’ve just resently started medication, this was because I’m pregnant.

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you’ve been having sex without a condom when you weren’t on treatment there is a risk that your partner is HIV positive. Therefore, heĀ  is going to need to test. This is important for this own health.
If his test result is negative, this is great. However, until your viral load is undetectable you’re going to need to use condoms because there is a risk of transmission, this is even if your partner is circumcised.

Hi Thash,

If your viral load is undetectable, there isn’t any risk to your partner. Please see the following: http://i-base.info/u-equals-u/

Unless you have issues with your medication there’s no reason why your viral load will rise.

2. Thash

My query is, if my viral load is undetactable and my partner is negative. My partner does not like using protection.

Will she be safe if we have unprotected sex consegatively or regularly? Are we safe? If so, how long can we do it and when should we stop?

This worries me because I don’t want my load to increase and infect her.

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *