WHO recommended ARVs
NUCLEOSIDE AND NUCLEOTIDE REVERSE TRANSCRIPTASE INHIBITORS
Abacavir (ABC, Ziagen) 300 mg twice daily or 600 mg once daily.
Zidovudine (AZT, Retrovir) 250-300 mg twice daily.
Emtricitabine (FTC, Emtriva) 200 mg once daily.
Didanosine (ddI, Videx) Buffered tablets or enteric-coated (EC) capsules [note 1] weight above 60 kg: 400 mg once daily, below 60 kg: 250 mg once daily. Take on empty stomach.
Lamivudine (3TC, EPivir Lamvir) 150 mg twice daily or 300 mg once daily
Stavudine (d4T, Zerit) [note 2] 30 mg twice daily.
Tenofovir (Viread) 300 mg once daily.
NON-NUCLEOSIDE REVERSE TRANSCRIPTASE INHIBITORS
Efavirenz (EFV, Sustiva, Stocrin) 600 mg once daily. Take at night 2 hours after food to avoid side effects. Not recommended for women when pregnant or trying for a baby.
Nevirapine (NVP, Viramune) 200 mg once daily for 14 days, followed by 200 mg twice daily. Not recommended for women with CD4 count over 250 or men with CD4 count over 400.
Atazanavir + ritonavir (Reyataz + Norvir, ATV/r) 300 mg +100 mg once daily. Take with food.
Fosamprenavir + ritonavir (Lexiva + Norvir, Telzir + Norvir, FPV/r) 700mg + 100 mg twice daily. Take with food.
Indinavir + ritonavir (Crixivan + Norvir, IDV/r) [note 3] 800 mg + 100 mg twice daily.
Lopinavir/ritonavir (LPV/r, Kaletra, Aluvia) [note 4]
Capsules (lopinavir 133.3 mg/ritonavir 33.3 mg)
- Three capsules twice daily (400/100 mg twice daily). Take with food.
- Four capsules twice daily when combined with EFV or NVP (533/133.33 mg twice daily). Take with food.
Tablets (heat-stable formulation, lopinavir 200 mg/ritonavir 50 mg
- Treatment-naive patients: Two tablets twice daily irrespective of coadministration with EFV or NVP (400/100 mg twice daily). Take with food.
- Treatment-experienced patients: Three tablets twice daily when combined with EFV or NVP (600/150 mg twice daily).Take with food.
Nelfinavir (Viracept, NFV) 1250 mg twice daily. Take with food.
Saquinavir + ritonavir (Invirase + Norvir, SQV/r) [note 4] 1000 mg + 100 mg twice daily. Take with food.
1. ddI dose should be adjusted when used with tenofovir. If weight is above 60 kg the recommended dose is 250 mg once daily. If weight is below 60 kg there are no data on which to base a recommendation (some preliminary studies suggest 125-200 mg once daily). Buffered ddI should be taken on an empty stomach.
2. Some clinics use 40mg doses for people weighing over 60 kg. WHO recommended 30 mg for all patients irrespective of body weight in 2006.
3. Other dose regimens in clinical use are 600 mg + 100 mg twice daily 194 and 400 mg + 100 mg twice daily.
4. Dose modified when used with TB drugs.
Source: WHO (Anti-retroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents – link current November 2007).
Last updated: 22 July 2009.