This page is part of Pocket ART, an easy guide to HIV treatment.
ART (HIV treatment) uses very effective drugs with a low risk of side effects
- You and your doctor can choose and change ART – so that you have the best quality of life.
- If side effects occur, they are usually mild. It is easy to change to other meds that might be easier to take.
Everyone worries about side effects before starting…
- Most people either get no side effects or only get mild side effects that go away within a few weeks.
- Choose ART that is most likely to fit your lifestyle.
- If you are unlucky and have trouble, it is easy to switch meds until the combination is right.
Side effects links
These links include more detailed information.
- ART choice – your choices for treatment.
- Switching – nearly always an option if you have side effects.
- Talk – essential if you are to get the best care.
- Diary – keeping a side effect diary.
- Quality of life – other health issues – especially as we get older.
- Quotes – experiences of HIV positive people and advocates.
- References – references used for the guide.
- Questions and answers – get answers to your questions.
Pocket side effects is a small i-Base guide about side effects, long term health and your quality of life (QoL)
Full guide to HIV and your quality of life, including side effects and other health issues
i-Base also produce more detailed information about side effects and other health issues.
The guide looks at how to describe side effects to your doctors, includes medical and alternative ways to manage each main side effect and looks at the most likely side effect for each drug.
This guide is available online and a printed A5 booklet.
- Full guide to side effects – more than 45 online pages.
- Full guide PDF download
- Order a free printed copy