US adult HIV guidelines updated (Oct 2018)
Simon Collins, HIV i-Base
The most recent update to the main US treatment guidelines were published last year.
All changes are highlighted in yellow in the main document and summarised with an introduction.
Main updates to antiretroviral drug use include:
- Adding ibalizumab (IBA), recently approved for use in persons with multidrug-resistant HIV.
- Bictegravir and doravirine are added to recommended options for first-line therapy
- FDCs containing elvitegravir/c have been reduced to alternative options.
- Dual therapy with dolutegravir/lamivudine is recommended when abacavir, TDF or TAF cannot be used
- Information added on risk of neural tube defects with dolutegravir in early pregnancy
Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV (October 2018).