Question

Can I restart medication?

I stopped my medication for HIV, now I want to use it again. This is because I am loosing weight. What will happen to me, am I going to get sick?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

How long have you been off ARVs for? Do you know what your viral load and CD4 count were when you stopped medication?

There’s no reason why you can’t go back to taking meds, this is actaully very important. This is because only ARVs can help your HIV.

What you should do, is go and visit your doctor. It is your doctor who will need to do some blood tests and also see if you’ve developed resistance to the meds that you used to take. Once these have been done, they’ll be able to advice you what to take. Or you could of course contact us.

With regards to getting sick, ARVs help your HIV. Its not being on them that causes problems for peoples health. This is explained at the following link, please see question 7:

http://i-base.info/qa/what-are-the-most-asked-questions

Hi Godfirst,

Because you’ve been off meds for 7 years you will need to see a specialist HIV doctor. They will need to do some tests so that they can see how you are doing and so that you can decide what medication to take.

2. GODFIRST

Hello and good afternoon, I was on ARV in 2009 and stop on 2010, can I start taking the drug again, or am I to run some test before I start taking the arv