Question

Why has my CD4 dropped?

My viral load is undetectable, however my CD4 count has dropped, is this normal? I’m in good shape and I look after myself.

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

CD4 counts can and do fluctuate. but to answer your question properly it would help to know how much it dropped and what it is now.

However, because your viral load is undetectable, this is likely to all be fine.

For more info, please see the Q&A:
http://i-base.info/qa/424

Hi Mbalenhle,

I can’t say what the chest pains could be, therefore you’ll need to talk to a doctor about that.
    If you stop taking your medication your viral load will rebound and your CD4 count will begin to drop. Therefore, this isn’t advised. The best thing to do is to take a 3 months supply with you when you go to the other country.

There is some research that says you can take certain meds less often, by this I means every few days and with Atripla. However, meds should be taken every day.

2. Mbalenhle

Hi
    Im 37 years and im hiv positive i than started taking treatment in late June 2017 my cd4 was 200 and vl was 35000.I was healthy on starting trivenz but from day one until now im feeling a lot of pains on my stomach and my chest is also burning sometimes i asked for a blood test in 3 weeks ago and the results came saying cd4 is 146 and vl is 200 000 i then conducted tests in other 2 duffirent labs and the other lab says the cd was 246 and the viral was 1 the other lab says cd4 was 266 and the viral was 1 so im now worried about the results from the first lab what must i do because this lab obviously have wrong results secondly im working in another country for 3 months im now thinking of either stopping the med until im back in SA or taking the meds and always skip one day like taking it monday and wednesday and friday and sunday can i do that? im really confussed .Because the pains are too much and i use to take the med just around 8:30 at nighth and i eat at 5pm.