Question

Can I work in the US?

I am a teacher and I have been offered a job in New York, America, I am a U.K. Resident. My question is will my HIV status affect my application for a workers visa? Also will it affect my medical insurance, will I be eligible for medical insurance?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Medical insurance is offered to people who are living with HIV. However, like others who live in the US you’ll need to shop around and see what’s on offer. The premium is likely to be higher given that you’re positive.

If you’re moving to the US due to work, then ideally your new employer should offer you insurance. It might be worth asking them about this.

You being positive shouldn’t have any impact on your applying for a work visa. However, its always worth contacting the American Embassy directly. For more info about traveling to the US, please see here:

http://www.hivrestrictions.org/Default.aspx?PageId=143&CountryId=12 

Hi Diana,

It’s great that you’ve got the working permit. But I’m afraid I don’t know if there’s a problem. As Lisa says above, it would be ideal if your employer could offer you insurance.

2. Diana

Hi i just wanna asked i got my working permit sent to me,but they are asking for my medical report and vaccin to be taken from us embassy health center. It would be a problem if they found any drugs from my medical from my hiv treatment tablet. As the hospital told me that they might found some drugs from my blood feom my treatment. Thanks alot

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *