Question

What will boost my CD4 count?

Hi i was given Atenaf 2weeks back with my partner, then we did blood tests..results showed that my CD4 is lower. they gave me winthrop,Nucotrim..do i need to take them both as they seem to do the same thing?And what is good way for me to boost my CD4 count?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

CD4’s are boosted/increased by ARVs, therefore you’re already doing the best thing possible.

You’ve said that your CD4 is low, do you know what it is?

With regards to the other medications that you’ve been given, this is something that you should talk to your doctor about as they should be able to explain why you’ve been given them. They are however commonly given to people when their CD4 is less than 200.

Hi Dick,

The time of day that you take your meds is up to you as meds should fit in with your lifestyle. That said some meds, for example Atripla are recommended to be taken before going to bed.

2. Dick

Can you change the time you take your ARV to a suitable time?

Hi Marupeng,
    Nucotrim is a brand name for co-trimoxazole. Co-trimoxazole is an antibiotic used to treat and prevent many different bacterial infections. It contains two antibiotics in one pill and there are many brand names including Septrin, Septra, Bactrim, Nucotrim and Cotrim.

It also works against malaria, which is caused by a parasite and several other diseases.

It has been given to people with HIV as prophylaxis (when a medicine is given to prevent an infection). Nucotrim protects against PCP (a kind of pneumonia) and toxoplasmosis (a tiny parasite that you can get from undercooked meat, from soil, or from cat faeces). People are only given Nucotrim prophylaxis if they have low CD4 counts. It can be stopped when the CD4 count recovers to above 200 after starting HIV meds (ARVs).

4. Marupeng

What is the important of nucotrim tablets

Hi Lebo,

ARVs are what controls a persons HIV. So you’re doing the right thing. There’s more info here about starting meds:

http://i-base.info/guides/starting

6. Lebo

I have found that am HIV positive and my CD4 count is 281 I was given ARVs are they right for my health or I should get another meds to boost my CD4 count.

Hi Elizabeth,

Ilvitrim fights infections. It’s an antibiotic. If your doctor has given this to you it’s important to take it to get rid of the infection.

It doesn’t interact with most HIV meds so it is safe to take it. But your doctor would have checked this first.

8. Elizabeth myeni

Is ok drink ilivitrim