Question

Do you get side effects when you start ARV?

I’m going to be starting medication for my HIV next week, will there be side effects?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Its common that people will have some sort of side effect when they start ARVs, however this does vary from person to person. Some people have none, whereas others have a lot, and side effects that could require them to change their medication. This may happen if a combination contains efavirenz.

Our introduction to ART guide explains what to expect: http://i-base.info/guides/starting

If you do have any issues with your ARV’s the best thing to do is to seek advice from your healthcare provider.

Hi Vmash,

It’s good that you’ve started taking ARVs. But it’s important you see a doctor about these pains. Please ask for a check to see if your heart is okay. Pains like these are not usually reported as a side effect of D100 or Tribuss.

2. Vmash

Hi,just starting to take my d100 in October. I’m having pains on my left site, and pain in my heart sometimes. Is this going to stop or not

Hi Bismark,

Have you talked to the doctor about this? What ARVs are you taking? It could be that you can switch to other ARVs that won’t affect you like this. You can discuss this with the doctor.

Some ARVs can be taken on an empty stomach. Others need to be taken with food. I’m sorry to hear that you can’t get food. What country do you live in? There might be local support charities that could help with this.

4. Bismark

I’ve been on the medicine for almost 9 months but sometimes I find it difficult work with it .
    I also feel like theres fire burning in me unless I sleep for sometimes before I becomes normal.
    And also how often do I have to eat cos I sometimes struggle to get food.
    And advice please