Question

My viral load is 71, is this OK?

I’ve just gotten my viral load results back, its 71, is this OK?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Are you on medication? If you are, how long have you been on it for?

If you’re on medication and you’re new to medication, a viral load of 71 is really good. You’re close to being undetectable. When your viral load goes to 50 copies. Your HIV will be fully controlled.

If you’re not on medication, then you may be what’s called an elite controller.

Hi Kathy,

If your viral load is undetectable there isn’t risk to your boyfriend. Please see here: http://i-base.info/u-equals-u/

2. Kathy

Hi, I’m post op trans. I’m undetectable.me and my boyfriend decided to have sex without condom (not anal). There are any risk for my boyfriend to get Hiv?

Hi Silvester,

Please see this Q&A about starting treatment with a high CD4 count. This Q&A explains that UK guidelines recommend that everybody can start HIV treatment at any CD4 count.

This includes CD4 counts that are higher than 500. That’s because the START study showed that HIV treatment has important benefits for your health, even if your CD4 count is still high.

Do you have access to your viral load? And what does the doctor say about starting HIV treatment?

4. Silvester

Hi , I am HIV patient for last 19 months . I had done the cd4 count and was 1340 and cd4:cd8 ratio 1.4 . when I will start the treatment.please advise.

Hi Bipu,

I’m sorry to hear about what sounds like a recent diagnosis. I’m not sure of your question, but it’s good that you’ve started HIV treatment (ART). Viraday is a generic version Atripla and you can see details of this here.

A viral load of 65 is low and almost undetectable, which is less than 50 copies/mL. What did the clinic say about this?

Do you think your weakness is a side effect of ART? Many people have mild side effects for the first week or two of ART. But this usually then goes away.

6. Bipu

I am a hiv patent of hiv 1 test.viral load is 65.having Viraday from last three days.hiv detected only 9 days ago at Q R G health city Faridabad.feeling very week.

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *