Question

How can I improve my CD4 count when I am already on treatment?

How to improve my CD4 count of 210? Is it dangerous at this stage? I was stressed and it has never been so low. I take daily Truvada (tenofovir and FTC) and Viramune (nevirapine). How can I improve it? Will more sleep help? I eat healty foods.

Thank you.

Answer

Answer: Charlotte Walker

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear that you are stressed at the moment and that it is affecting your CD4 count. A CD4 count of 210 isn’t bad at all and is nothing to worry about.

How long have you been on medication? If you have recently started then it is possible that as you continue taking your meds your CD4 count will increase. Trying to reduce your stress levels or learning to manage your stress better could also help.

Other things that can help to increase CD4 counts include the same things that are advised for general health. Try to eat a balanced diet, sleep well, exercise, stop smoking, and only use alcohol or recreational drugs in moderation.

It is also possible that your CD4 count is just fluctuating and that it will naturally go back up on its own. Either way it is nothing to worry about. Once you have started treatment the most important thing to monitor is your viral load. As long as that remains undetectable your treatment is working.

Hi Samu,

Because your VL is undetectable your CD4 results will have been a blip. If this had gone up then there would have been cause for concern.

2. Samu

H Lisa
    My V/L is still undetectable with less than 20 copies.

Hi Tumi,

If you aren’t eating properly this could explain the weight loss. Have you talk to your doctor about this?

Because your viral load is undetectable, it means the meds are working and working well. With regards to your CD4 count, its very possible that this is a blip. For more info please see here:

http://i-base.info/qa/424