Question

Is it ok if I take my meds 15 or 30 mins late?

Do you have to take your arvs at exactly the same time each day? Will for example 30 mins (or even an hour) each way have any impact whatsoever on the suppression of the virus or cause resistance? I am worried as even though I take them every day some days it is 15 or 30 mins later or earlier than the previous day.

Answer

Thank you for your question.

It is sometimes difficult to take your meds at the exact same time everyday.

Even when starting, there is a window of about an hour either side of your target time when it is still fine to take them.

For example, if you want to take your meds every night at 10 pm, then any time between 9pm and 11pm will be fine.

We are all human and there will be occasions when you forget your meds.

The less this happens the better but if it does happen once in a while then there is nothing to worry about. If you forget in the future take them as soon as you remember, unless you are already close to the next dose as you do not need to double dose.

Once you get an undetectable viral load, especially if t have been undetectable for several years, your probably have much more flexibility. This partly depends on which drugs you are using.

Some once daily drugs (including tenofovir DF, emtricitabine and efavirinz) stay in your body for long enough to cover being several hours late or to missing doses completely.

Several studies are looking at whether reduced dosing might be safe – for example by only taking ART for four days a week. We need bigger studies before we know if this is safe though.

Note: this question was updated in October 2016 from and original answer in April 2011.

Hi Anonymous,

Its fine to take Atrozia a few hours either side of your normal time.

2. Anonymous

I need to know what happens if I take my antroiza 30 minutes earlier because sometimes when I attend some occasions knowing I’ll forget or return home late I usually take them 30 minutes earlier. I take them at 18:00 everyday, but sometimes I do take them 5 minutes earlier.

Hi Anonymous,

Its fine to take your meds with alcohol. Ideally you should aim to take your meds at the roughly the same time every day. This is more important when you’re new to treatment. For more info about Trivenz, please see here:

http://i-base.info/guides/1561

4. Anonymous

Hi

My doctor had suggested I take Trivenz in the morning. But my counselor and pharmacist suggested at night because of dizziness being one of the side effects.

I just started and took the pill at 10pm at night before I slept. My concern if I would go out with friends till late and maybe have drinks, will I still be able to take my pill after consuming alcoholic drinks or in between of consuming alcoholic drinks if I’m still out till early hours, as I have to take it at 10pm?

Please advice, thank you.

Hi Phasewell,

What meds do you take?