Question

How can I get my CD4 count to increase?

Hi – what can I do to help increase my CD4? I have just found out I am at undetectable level after 8 weeks on treatment which is great. my CD4 has gone from 95 to 166 (after 4 weeks) and is now 173 after 8 weeks. I know it can take time for the CD4 to recover when the base level is low as mine but I am still disheartened as I was really hoping for it to have rebounded a bit better than this. What can I do to help it increase? Many thanks for your advice.

Answer

Thank you for your question.

Your CD4 count is doing really well and increasing nicely. Most people take 6-12 months for their CD4 counts to increase significantly. You are doing really well and have nothing to feel disheartened about.

There is very little anyone can do to increase their CD4 counts accept using HIV treatment which you are already doing. However, there are some things that you can do to maintain your CD4 count and ensure it stays up. This includes eating a healthy balanced diet, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, not getting stressed out, not smoking, drinking alcohol in moderation and generally looking after yourself.

Hi Bonny,

Being on ARVS will increase your CD4 count. Though a CD4 of 176 may seem low, people are diagnosed with much lower CD4’s. There’s more info here about CD4’s of less than 200:

http://i-base.info/qa/3560

2. Bonny

Hello i am Bonny
    I am HIV positive, and i discovered at one month ago …after testing of CD4 it read 176 Cd4 counts …how bad it is in my health? And what can i do to raise it???