Question

How long can someone live with HIV?

How long can a man live with HIV if he was around 18 years old and was healthy when he was infected, both with and without medication?

Answer

This is a very good question, but no-one can predict how long another person will live.

Many issues that need to be taken into account and yet you still will only get a guess for an average age. These include socioeconomic factors, which country you live in, income, lifestyle (alcohol, drugs, tobacco, exercise and diet), access to health care, other infections like hepatitis, genetics and chance – good or bad luck.

However, there was a good study published in the Lancet, in the 26 July 2008 issue, that looked at life expectancy for HIV positive people. It provided robust and compelling results from a large cohort of HIV positive people from developed countries, that life expectancy is very good, and near to an HIV-negative person.

They reported that a 20-year-old individual starting HAART could expect to live for another 43 years on average. A 35-year-old could expect 32 more years of life. One of the comments by an Australian scientist was

Hi Nitin,

Info about living with HIV is included in the above post. TB is easy to treat. I’m not sure what you mean by sugar patient.

2. Nitin

can you please help me to understand how long a HIV, TB and Sugar patient can live or they have a chance to survive or not. is there any treatment for this condition

3. Komedi Putar

Thanks to my father who informed me regarding this webpage,
    this blog is in fact remarkable.

Hi Sadik,

Please see Q1 here:

http://i-base.info/qa/what-are-the-most-asked-questions

And the following link:

http://i-base.info/htb/32308

5. Sadik

Is there any chance of being infected, doing sex with HIV +ve one, without condom?