Question

How long can someone live with HIV?

How long can a man live with HIV if he was around 18 years old and was healthy when he was infected, both with and without medication?

Answer

This is a very good question, but no-one can predict how long another person will live.

Many issues that need to be taken into account and yet you still will only get a guess for an average age. These include socioeconomic factors, which country you live in, income, lifestyle (alcohol, drugs, tobacco, exercise and diet), access to health care, other infections like hepatitis, genetics and chance – good or bad luck.

However, there was a good study published in the Lancet, in the 26 July 2008 issue, that looked at life expectancy for HIV positive people. It provided robust and compelling results from a large cohort of HIV positive people from developed countries, that life expectancy is very good, and near to an HIV-negative person.

They reported that a 20-year-old individual starting HAART could expect to live for another 43 years on average. A 35-year-old could expect 32 more years of life. One of the comments by an Australian scientist was

Information on this website is provided by treatment advocates and offered as a guide only. Decisions about your treatment should always be taken in consultation with your doctor.

Hi Opio, I’m sorry you’re in pain. Unfortunately we are not doctors, but we do provide HIV treatment information. Could you find another doctor to look at your symptoms?

2. Opio

Hi i have develop a swollen lymph near my neck and the cheek, its in a shape of a bean but slightly swollen on both side, it does not pain but make me stressed by putting a scarf all the time even during hot temperature it has taken 3 years on this condition, I went for a scan the doctor said its not something serious, but this uncomfortable in the community, what treatment can I get to cure this situation becaure am so much scared of my life

3. Hi – you cannot catch HIV from masturbation. It is 100% safe. Without knowing your age and background, is thers any chance that you might have been born with HIV? This is just a small thing to conside becasue sometime people are not tested when they are children. However, swollen lymph nodes are really very common and fdo not mean you are HIV positive. Please talk to your docotr though so that you can stop you worrying about this and to check they are all normal.

4. loi

hi. i am a lesbian , i never had sex with anyone but do masturbation, and now i have swollen lymp nodes like bean/pea. in groin and armpit. i have had those for years now and doesn’t go away. i’m really scared now thinking i have hiv.and also thinking how will i able to have it when im not having sex with anyone and just do masturbation.

5. sap

hi..I’m at around 35 years and HIV+ and am on ARV for 6 years…my life partner is Hiv-,,is it possible for us to have a child who will be hiv-??

6. Hi,

You should tell your clinic or doctor about your continue d side effects they can then let you know if they have have an alternative available that they can change you too.

7. Sabrina

Please help me, i started ARV treatment of Teevir with 460 CD4 and it i gave me way so may side effects from constant fever, sleepless ness and burning sensation in my hands and feet..We run many blood test for TB or any other oppertunistic deseases but nothing could be dedected my kidneys and liver are still a good condition. But the side effects are very servere sometimes…should i change the drug or what should i do please advice…

8. Hi Rajan

HAART is an abbreviation for Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. However, this is now quite an old fashioned term. For the last few years most people talk about ART (antiretroviral therapy) rather than HAART. They both mean the same thing though.

HIV meds are definitely available in Nepal but they need to be prescribed by a doctor. You can not buy them without a prescription.

Try contacting the Nepal Network of HIV Positive People.