Online information for people living with HIV
Many organisations now have online information to answer the main questions in easy language. A selection is linked below and include some posts from the i-Base Q&A service.
As with all information please check the date and whether or not the resources are updated in real time.
• i-Base Q&A service
• HIV Scotland: HIV, PrEP, COVID-19, sex: what you need to know
• ITPC – Q&As for HIV positive people globally
• BHIVA: Eight questions for HIV positive people
• US Centre for Disease Controls (CDC) FAQ
• International AIDS Society (IAS): COVID-19 and HIV: What you need to know
• JAMA: Stopping the spread of COVID-19
i-Base Q&A service
HIV and coronavirus (COVID-19): are HIV positive people at higher risk?
Will PrEP be affected by coronavirus and COVID-19?
What is difference between self-distancing and self-isolation for HIV and COVID-19
What are guidelines for pneumococcal and flu vaccines during COVID-19 crisis?
HIV Scotland: HIV, PrEP, COVID-19, sex: what you need to know
The online information from HIV Scotland has good Q&As organised into four main areas. i-Base contributed to some of these.
HIV & coronavirus – what you need to know
PrEP & coronavirus – what you need to know
Sex & physical distancing – what you need to know
Been at risk of HIV during COVID-19? – what you need to know
BHIVA: Eight questions for HIV positive people
The BHIVA Q&As include importance of continuing to take ART, looking after physical and mental well-being, and advice about access to care if you think you have coronavirus symptoms.
World Health Organization (WHO)
Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)
Q&A on COVID-19, HIV and antiretrovirals
Coronavirus myth busters
- Being in the sun or at high temperature does not protect against COVID-19.
- Being able to hold your breath does not mean you are free from coronavirus.
- Alcohol does not protect against COVID-19. Neither does garlic.
- Cold weather and snow doesn’t kill coronavirus and hot climates are still at high risk.
- Coronavirus is not transmitted by mosquito bites.
- Will pneumonia and flu vaccines help?
Q&A on COVID-19, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding
Q&A: Similarities and differences – COVID-19 and influenza
US Centre for Disease Controls (CDC) FAQ
Information from the US CDC from 20 March 2020.
ITPC – Q&As for HIV positive people globally
Information available in a PDF booklet from the International Treatment Preparedness Coalition (ITPC)
Among the questions addressed are:
• What is the coronavirus and what is COVID-19?
• Who is at risk for COVID-19?
• How do you get it?
• What happens to people with COVID-19?
• How can it be prevented?
• What do you do if you feel ill?
• How do you get tested?
• How is COVID-19 treated?
Ref: ITPC. Personal and community guidance on COVID-19.
International AIDS Society (IAS): COVID-19 and HIV: what you need to know
JAMA: Stopping the spread of COVID-19
Ref: Desai AN and Patel P. Stopping the Spread of COVID-19. JAMA. (20 March 2020).