Q and A


Is treatment in the UK free?

First of all, as I will pursue my masters degree in Birmingham, UK next year and the first thing that I hv to consider is about how to access the ARV Treatment when arriving in Birmingham. I have been in treatment since April this year (Taking FDC; Tenofovir, Lamivudine and Efavirens). Could you please tell me where should I go for getting the ARV drugs? Should I pay it? Or it’s already included on my health insurance when applying for my student VISA?
Secondly, I am thinking about how should I react on medical check up before applyingg for a VISA? Should I disclose my HIV status? For your information, I am from Indonesia and was diagnosed with HIV Positive in 2017 when the doctor found me suffering from Tuberculosis. I started my treatment in April 2019. Moreover, should I tell the University where I will pursue my study that I am living with HIV?
I need your answers. Cheers!


Thanks for getting in touch.

ARVs are free to anyone who has an address in the UK, this includes students from overseas.

With regards to where you access ARVs in Birmingham, this will depend on where it is that you’re going to be living in the city. Here is a link to one clinic, there are others: https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/qehb-hiv-clinic.htm

It is possible to get Atripla, as we have this drug.

As for telling the Uni about your status, this is up to you. However you’re under no obligation to tell anyone about your status. Your status also won’t be a reason why a visa would be denied.


  1. Roy Trevelion

    Hi Ridho,

    Thank you!

  2. Ridho

    Alright, thank you for taking time and answering my questions! I do appreciate it!


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *