Question

My viral load is undetectable can I be reinfected?

Hi. If my viral load is undetectable and I have unprotected sex with someone who has a high viral load with a different strain of HIV, will my meds stop me contracting that form of HIV as well?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Given that your HIV is under control, it’s very unlikely that you’ll be reinfected, this is because your meds will protect you. For further info, please see here: https://i-base.info/ttfa/section-2/7-reinfection-with-hiv/

Hi Frank,

The time it takes to become undetectable varies a lot between different people.

It depends on which treatment you use and how high your viral load was when you started treatment.

But with a combination containing efavirenz most people become undetectable within about three months.

2. Frank

Hi. I’ve religiously been on efavirenz for 6 months now and due for my blood tests end of July. Does that mean I may be undetectable at this stage.

Hi Cebi,

I’m so sorry to hear this sad news about your partner. Please accept my condolences.

However, as your viral load is still undetectable your HIV meds look like they’re still working well. But reinfection with drug resistance would probably mean viral rebound.

What does your doctor say about your CD4 count results? Please talk to your doctor about what might be causing this.

Please let us know what HIV meds are you taking.

4. Cebi

Greetings. My CD4 count was 1000 in 2015 but now it keeps on dropping, I do blood tests every six months . It’s now on 162 but my viral load is still undetectable. My partner passed away last year, he was hiv+ too. Is there a possibility that I was reinfected because his cd4 count was 1 when he passed away. Please help.

Thank you.