Question

My viral load is undetectable can I be reinfected?

Hi. If my viral load is undetectable and I have unprotected sex with someone who has a high viral load with a different strain of HIV, will my meds stop me contracting that form of HIV as well?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Given that your HIV is under control, it’s very unlikely that you’ll be reinfected, this is because your meds will protect you. For further info, please see here: https://i-base.info/ttfa/section-2/7-reinfection-with-hiv/

Hi Tboy,

The meds that you’re taking are excellent at controlling a persons HIV, this is why your viral load is undetectable.
    Reinfection is rare, as you’re on medication and your viral load is undetectable it’s unlikely to be an issue.

2. Tboy

I’m Tboy

From my past viral load test that was less than 20 (undetectable) in 6months ago, I’ve been taking my meds at stipulated time religiously.

But I have had unprotected sex with 2 different ladies which I don’t know maybe they are both adhering better to thier meds but they are both fine. I want to ask, can I be reinfected with another strain of the virus or a drug resistance virus.

And how strong is my meds
    My meds is ACRIPTEGA (dolutegravir 50mg,lamivudine 300mg and tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate 300mg)

Thanks

Hi Frank,

The time it takes to become undetectable varies a lot between different people.

It depends on which treatment you use and how high your viral load was when you started treatment.

But with a combination containing efavirenz most people become undetectable within about three months.

4. Frank

Hi. I’ve religiously been on efavirenz for 6 months now and due for my blood tests end of July. Does that mean I may be undetectable at this stage.

Hi Cebi,

I’m so sorry to hear this sad news about your partner. Please accept my condolences.

However, as your viral load is still undetectable your HIV meds look like they’re still working well. But reinfection with drug resistance would probably mean viral rebound.

What does your doctor say about your CD4 count results? Please talk to your doctor about what might be causing this.

Please let us know what HIV meds are you taking.

6. Cebi

Greetings. My CD4 count was 1000 in 2015 but now it keeps on dropping, I do blood tests every six months . It’s now on 162 but my viral load is still undetectable. My partner passed away last year, he was hiv+ too. Is there a possibility that I was reinfected because his cd4 count was 1 when he passed away. Please help.

Thank you.