Q and A


I want to move to the UK, can I still get ARVs?

I want to move to the UK for work (I’m from India) will I be able to access ARVs? I hear they are free, is this true?


Thanks for getting in touch.

What you’ve heard is right, ARVs are free for anyone who lives in the UK and this includes people who aren’t from the UK. To access ARVs you’ll need to contact your nearest sexual health clinic, they’ll then advise you about what it is that you need to do.


  1. Roy Trevelion

    Hi Worry,

    Please see below for answers to your previous questions. This sounds like very low risk to zero risk for HIV. But if you are worried about being HIV positive, please have another HIV test.

  2. Worry

    good morning staff of i-base. I’m not clear with the answer or my question is not clear, let me put it in this way,i meet a woman in a party we enter room start playing with each other she put my panis inside her mouth playing with him in her mouth for some minutes I didn’t ejaculate inside her mouth,we didn’t have sex because I didn’t have condom.the following day my friend to me the girl that I saw you with her she is hiv positive,him know her,she is in hiv treatment more than 3years,since my friend told me the girl she is hiv positive I’m not sleeping thinking of hiv,that is why I need this website to help me again, whether I would get hiv from this stupid behavior.

  3. Roy Trevelion

    Hi Adm,

    I hope you don’t mind but I made your comment shorter.

    Oral sex is low risk for HIV transmission. But this sounds like zero risk as your friend has been on HIV meds for three years. So it’s likely that her viral load is undetectable. Please see U=U here.

  4. Adm

    Good morning, can I get HIV if i put my penis inside HIV positive woman who was in HIV treatment more than 3 years and she playing with my panis inside her mouth for some minutes

  5. Lisa Thorley

    Hi Ravi,

    I can’t say if you’ll need to do another HIV test when you attend the clinic, you might. When you come over the best thing to do is to bring a copy of your medical history with you as well as a few months worth of med.

    I can’t comment on issue of health insurance, you will however be treated for free for your HIV and also be given ARVs for free.
    There are a lot of clinics in London as well as the UK. The following will help: https://i-base.info/find-or-change-clinic/

  6. Ravi

    Thank you so much Lisa. Just wanted to check there won’t be a HIV test again I believe. And do we need to take insurance if I move to UK.

    Can you pls provide the clinics those are working with positive people.

  7. Lisa Thorley

    Hi Rodrigo,

    As the post notes, ARVs are free for anyone who lives in the UK, and yes this includes people who aren’t from here. If you do move to London there are a lot of clinics that work with positive people. All you’ll need to do is contact one of them and they’ll explain the process.

  8. Rodrigo

    My name and Rodrigo I’m Brazilian I got HIV I already have treatment in Brazil but I want to live in the United Kingdom. I’d like to move to London, can I get medication?


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *