Question

Can I use acid-reducing agents with my ARV medication?

Hi, I am currently having an issue with acid reflux and I have tried so many medications but they don’t seem to help. I am currently on ARVs (Abcavir, Lamivudine, Rilpivirine) and want to know if it is safe to take an alkaline powder such as A.Vogel? Please advise because I have been told that it works wonders.

Answer

Hi, how are you? Sorry to hear about your acid reflux.

How long has your reflux been going on? Talking to your doctor and asking about any interactions will be able to help. You have mentioned you are on Edurant, a brand name of Rilpivirine. This medication requires acidity in your stomach to properly work.

In the UK it is recommended that antacids (A.Vogel) be taken at a different time toRilpivirine. Rilpivirine should be taken 4 hours before or 2 hours after the antacid. There areno known interactions with Hteruam (Abcavir and Lamivudine).

If you have any more questions please ask,

Josh.