Question

Can I change from breastfeeding my baby to formula milk?

Hi, I am HIV + and I take my ART very well. My baby tested negative on the first day of birth on the second day the results were insufficient but on the 3rd day the results were negative again …..I am breast feeding and giving my baby nevarapine but I am planning on stoppingĀ  breast feeding after a month and formula feed because I will not be always around to take care of baby. I am avoiding mix feeding, is this wise?

Answer

Hi

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your new baby. It sound like you are doing an amazing job of looking after your baby and the test results are really good.

Because guidelines for breastfeeding are linked to where you live, including the country and if this is in the city or countryside, please ask your doctor or nurse these questions.

i-Base is in the UK and guidelines in SA are sometimes different.

You are right that if it us important to exclusively use either breastfeeding only or formula milk only. If your circumstance make it important to change this is also usually okay, but your clinic can give you the best information about how and when to do this.

Hi Titwalo,

First, many congratultaions on the news of your baby. It sounds like you’re doing all you can for your baby.

But as it says on this Q&A, guidelines for breastfeeding are linked to where you live, including the country and if this is in the city or countryside. Please ask your doctor or nurse these questions. They can give you the best advice.

But it’s important to exclusively use either breastfeeding only or formula milk only.

2. Titwalo

Hi I’m hiv positive I don’t know my viral load yet I gave birth 1 day ago, I’m formula feeding I want to change to breastfeeding is these a wise decision n my baby I’m giving her medication

Hi Lindough,

Please talk to your doctor about the safest way to feed your baby. This is because different countries have different guidelines for HIV mothers about how to feed their babies.

For more info please see this guide to HIV pregnancy and women’s health. There’s a lot of info in this, including for after babies are born.

4. Lindough

HIV positive was giving him formula bt want to change to breastfeed him he is 5weeks