Question

My viral load is undetectable, can I transmit HIV?

My viral load is 40, can I transmit HIV?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Because you’re viral load is undetectable, you cannot transmit HIV when having sex without a condom. For more info please see here:

http://i-base.info/htb/32308

Hi Nonjabulo, Are you on HIV treatment (ART)? If you’re on ART and your viral load test result is undetectable then the risk to your boyfriend is just about zero. Please see the PARTNER study where HIV positive and HIV negative couples had sex without condoms more than 58,000 times – and without a single case of HIV transmission.

2. nonjabulo

im hiv positve nan ma boyfriend is negative.my cd4 coun is 660 is it easy for him to get the viruse if we have sex without condom.but since we meet we use condom

Hi Isaac,
    AS Lisa says here on this question, you cannot transmit HIV if you are taking treatment and undetectable. You can find out more from the PARTNER study.

4. Isaac

I’m in New love with someone who’s HIV infected. She told me that she is infected after unprotected sex with her and she told me that she is using pills for HIV. My question is will I get it or not. I tested negative before meeting her.