Question

Can I change the time that I take my meds?

Hi, I have been taking arvs for now 5 years, I take efavirenz /lamivudine /tenofovir. I have been taking my medication at 10:00pm, is it possible for me to change to morning hours coz I don’t get enough sleep. I used to work at night when I had started taking my medication but I have noticed that I fail to sleep nowadays even when I quit my night job. The best I can sleep is just 2 hours.

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you aren’t able to sleep, it may be worth talking to a doctor about this. They should be able to give you something to help, or suggest yoga or meditation.

Though medication that contains efavirenz is recommended to be taken at night, you should take your medication at a time that suites you and your lifestyle. If this means changing from night to day, then yes this is something that you can do.  If however you notice any changes, you may want to talk to your doctor.

There is a possibility that is may be the medication that’s causing your sleep problems, so you could mention this to your HIV doctor. They may suggest changing to something else.

Good luck with addressing the sleep issue.

Hi Boitumelo,
    Yes, you can change the time like this. Change once and then stick to the new time. If you are changing work shifts regularly you can ask the doctor about switching to meds you can take at any time of day.

2. Boitumelo

Hi Lisa
    Am Starting night duty next month and am drinking my. Pills at 20h30,,,is it possible to start next month to drink at 9h00 when I get home,,changing times…Thnx in advance