Question

My viral load is undetectable, can I transmit HIV to my baby?

My viral load is 22 and cd4 is 356. Can I transmit to my unborn.? I am 5 months pregnant.

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Its great to hear that your viral load is undetectable, this is really important when thinking about transmission.

At this time its not possible to say if your baby will be born positive or not. However the risk will be reduced due to you being on medication. For more info about pregnancy, please see here:

http://i-base.info/guides/pregnancy

Hi Anne,
    It’s great that you’re viral load is undetectable and you’re benefitting from HIV treatment (ART). The benefits of ART are not just to your own health. Treating your HIV will reduce the risk of your baby becoming HIV positive to almost zero.

Without ART, one in four babies born to HIV positive women will be born HIV positive. But ART can almost completely prevent transmission of HIV.

Here’s the guide to HIV, pregnancy and women’s health.

2. Anne

Hi my viral load is undetectable, and I’m 7 months pregnant, is it possible to pass it on to my unborn baby

Hi Gal,

Yes its OK to change from breast milk to formula milk. Babies usually don’t need water until they are older.

4. Gal

Can I stop breastfeeding at 3 months and give my baby formula and water?