Question

When will I know if my baby is negative?

My baby tested negative on all of his tests, now my question is what are the chances of the tests changing, because we are only lest with the last test that must be done when he is 18 months old.

He did PCR at 6 weeks and again at 6 months and they were both negative

And when i gave birth my vl was below 50 copies and gave birth by C-section .

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

It’s very unlikely that your childs status is going to change. Your HIV was under control when you gave birth and they’ve already tested negative twice. The 18 month test is more of a precautionary thing.Please see here for more info: http://i-base.info/guides/pregnancy/hiv-negative

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for making this clear. But unfortunately mix feeding with both breastmilk and formula is not recommended.

Please see what Angelina says on the question of what is the safest way to feed your baby.

The World Health Organisation recommends that if a woman is taking HIV treatment (ART), then she should breastfeed exclusively for 6 months. After 6 months the baby can then be weaned onto a safe diet without breastfeeding.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended because mixed feeding carries a greater risk of transmission.

But please talk to your doctor about feeding your baby. It’s great that he tested HIV negative at 6 weeks

2. Emmanuel

Thanks Lisa

I meant he was strictly on breast milk before we gave him formulated milk at 3 month. Are we to continue on the breast milk or mix the both.

Hi Emmanuel,

Its great to hear that your baby tested negative at 6 weeks, this is a good sign. For more info about testing in babies, please see here: http://i-base.info/guides/pregnancy/hiv-negative

With regards to feeding, you’ve said that for the first three months he was on exclusive then you added milk, what do you mean?

4. Emmanuel

Greeting Lisa

We tested my baby for his status at 6 weeks and it was negative. When are we to do the test again and how do we follow up to ensure he is completely free. He was on exclusive until the third month before we added milk for him.

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *