Question

I’m resistant to my meds, what should I do?

Hi, I’ve been on treatment (Atripla) for 8 months (after acute infection in august last year)
In march my viral load were 1200, so the doctor ask to wait 2 months and test again.

After 2 months in May my VL was 1007. Due to my viral load still being detectable my doctor ordered some resistance tests.

I took the test in June and got my results back in August. From the three components of Atripla, two of them were highly resistant, only the tenofovir is partially resistant. My VL was 840.
What should I do in this situation?

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

From what you’ve said it sounds likely that you might have the resistance strain M184V for the 3TC and K103N for the efavirenz. Tenofovir partial resistance could be any thymidine analogue mutation.
Either way, with this resistance report, changing the efavirenz is essential. M184V resistance is sometimes okay to keep (ie continuing 3TC is sometimes ok) because it makes HIV less fit.
Changing to second like – ideally dolutegravir + two nukes would be recommended in the UK, while your VL is still low.
This is something that you’re going to need to discuss with your doctor.

Hi Emmanuel.

If your viral load has increased since you’ve been on dolutegravir and you’re adhering, then yes you’re going to need to change. If your doctor has suggested going back to your original combination then this could be tried.

2. Emmanuel

Good evening,

Am so worried, have been on efavirenz, Lamuvidine and tenevfoir drugs for 2 years now, 4 months ago my VL was 195 before I was switched to dolutegravir and I just checked my VL it increased to 1700. What could be the problem and what is the best advice. They are suggesting I go back to the former combination. Please I need your advice.

Hi Khanyisa,

Unfortunately black seed oil and honey does not cure HIV and AIDS.

The only way to increase your CD4 count is to take HIV treatment (ART). Do you have access to ART where your live? Please let us know.

And here’s an introduction to ART. There’s a lot of info in this guide to help you start treatment.

4. Khanyisa

I heard that if you use Black seed oil and a hunny, that can increase your CD Count and cure HIV and AIDS. So I wanted to know from you guys if you have a knowledge about this?

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *