Question

I found out I’m pregnant while taking efavirenz?

I found out I was pregnant when already on Atripla and my concerns were what I had read up on efavirenz (initially). I’m 43 and this is my first pregnancy, and this latter issue is now more worrisome than the previous one. Your input, please!?

Answer

Hello, thank-you for your question. And congratulations on your pregnancy!

Many women who are pregnant or trying to conceive contact us to ask about efavirenz.

Many years ago, efavirenz was not recommended during pregnancy.

Much more recent data has shown that these concerns are no longer important.

Many women have safely become pregnant when they are already taking ARVs, including efavirenz (or Atripla which contains efavirenz).

UK guidelines  recommend that efavirenz can continue to be used by women who want to become pregnancy. They also recommend that efavirenz can be used by during pregnancy.

You also said that you are concerned about this being your first pregnancy at 43. I’m not a maternity expert and I can’t give you much advice about this. It’s important to talk to your doctor or midwife about your concerns. Many women who become pregnant in their late 30s and early 40s have perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies. It’s important to get advice from your healthcare team to help make your pregnancy as healthy as possible.

Our guide to HIV, pregnancy and women’s health is available to read online or to download. The guide contains information about many issues around pregnancy and HIV, including mother to child transmission; prenatal care and delivery choices. You can access it at this link: HIV, pregnancy and women’s health.

Hi Busie,
    Women around the world have taken HIV drugs safely in pregnancy now for over 20 years. And an undetectable viral load means that HIV cannot be transmitted to your partner. You can read more about U=U (undetectable = untransmittable) here. You can talk to your doctor about having a baby and make sure that your HIV meds keep you undetectable during pregnancy. There’s more info in this guide to HIV, pregnancy and women’s health.

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *