ART – HIV treatment
This page is part of Pocket ART, an easy guide to HIV treatment.
ART stands for antiretroviral treatment
HIV drugs are called antiretrovirals because HIV is a retrovirus. ART is used to treat HIV.
It is an exciting time for HIV care. ART is now the routine next step after finding out you are HIV positive. Taking control over this aspect of your health can be one of the easiest ways to deal with HIV.
- Adherence tips – information about taking meds.
- ART choice – your choice for your treatment
- Side effects – links to more information
- PARTNER study – how ART stops transmission
- START study – why ART is now recommended for all positive people
- Quotes this guide – experiences of HIV positive people and advocates.
- References – references used for the guide
- Questions and answers – get answers to your questions
Pocket guide: a small pocket leaflet about ART
- Pocket size guide to ART – PDF download (May 2923)
- Order free printed copy.
Full guide: Introduction to ART
i-Base also produce more detailed information about ART. This includes more information on ART, choice of drugs, adherence, drug resistance and other aspect of treatment.
This guide is available online and as an A5 booklet.
- Full introduction to ART guide – 50 online pages
- Full Intro to ART guide – PDF (June 2022).
- Order a free printed copy.
1 April 2023. Related: ART, HIV positive people, Pocket ART, Resources.