HIV and hepatitis coinfection
Update on chronic hepatitis C in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients: viral interactions and therapy
This 5,000 word report provides a nice review of key topics in HCV/HIV co-infection. It is written by Norbert Brau, treating physician at Bronx VA Hospital, NYC. Here is the list of topics covered.
- Significance of HCV in the HIV-infected population
- Prevalence of HIV/HCV-coinfection
- Interactions between HIV and HCV infection:
- Influence of HIV infection on the course of chronic hepatitis
- Influence of HCV infection on the course of HIV disease
- Treatment of chronic HCV in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients
- Lactic acidosis
- Special considerations in HCV therapy for HIV-infected persons
- Which HIV/HCV-coinfected patients should be treated for chronic hepatitis C and how?
- Management of HIV/HCV-coinfected patients with end-stage liver disease:
- Treatment for decompensated liver disease
- Liver transplantation
- Future research questions