HIV and hepatitis coinfection guidelines (2009): online for comment
3 June 2009. Related: Guidelines, Hepatitis coinfection, BHIVA news.
The draft 2009 BHIVA guidelines for the management of coinfection with HIV-1 and chronic hepatitis B or C are online and available for comment:
The 2009 guidelines have been updated to incorporate all new relevant information since the previous versions in 2005.
The major changes/amendments include:
- Combining the previously separate HBV and HCV guidelines into one document
- Increased discussion on hepatitis screening and prevention;
- Clarification on the role of liver biopsy and non-invasive liver fibrosis assessment;
- More emphasis on screening for delta virus;
- Increased discussion on end-stage liver disease management and HCC screening;
- Molecular diagnostic tests used for the diagnosis and management of HBV and HCV;
- Revised CD4-based guidance on the management of chronic HBV;
- Management of acute HBV;
- Revised guidance on the management of chronic HCV, including ART interactions;
- Management of acute HCV;
- Management of treatment non-responders and relapsers in both chronic HBV and HCV.
The Guidelines Writing Group is grateful for all comments, which will be reviewed before publication.