52nd International Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), 9-12 September 2012, San Francisco
1 October 2012. Related: Conference reports, Conference index, ICAAC 52nd San Francisco 2012.
The annual ICAAC conferences tend to have such a reduced focus on HIV in recent years that i-Base rarely prioritises attending this meeting.
Also, unlike most HIV meetings, only limited access is provided to abstracts and presentations. This is not a good model for health news. Some reports are restricted to data that was included in the abstract which have very limited peer review.
So the few articles included in this issue are to highlight potentially interesting studies that will hopefully be presented with greater detail and better access at either the HIV Congress in Glasgow in November, or at CROI in Atlanta in March next year.
For a limited period, abstracts and sessions can be searched and browsed online:
Despite their short access period and tediously long URLs, links to abstracts are included in each report.
PowerPoint slides from selected studies are also posted to the free-access NATAP.org which includes approximately 50 reports from ICAAC.
Reports in this issue of HTB are:
- Study summaries from ICAAC 2012
- Dolutegravir superior to efavirenz at week 48 in treatment-naive patients
- Elvitegravir/cobicistat has no clinically significant interactions with methadone or buprenorphine
- Albuvirtide: long-acting formulation T-20
- High rates of adherence and virological suppression with once-daily raltegravir and directly observed therapy (DOT) in IDU patients
- Role of HIV DNA, recent cellular infection and poor immunological responses despite viral suppression
- Antiviral activity in vitro with S/GSK1265744
- Efavirenz interaction studies with TB compounds bedaquiline and delaminid