Question

Do i need to keep taking Septrin?

I started HIV treatment 3 months ago. I am also taking septrin. Do i need to keep taking that?

Answer

Hi,

Septrin  is often given to people a as prophylaxis. This means it is used top prevent other infections. It is often given to people who have HIV.

People are often given it if their CD4 count os lower, under about 200. The stepson helps your immune system fight off infections and the illnesses.

If you do not know why you are taking the Septrin and you CD4 count is high you should ask your doctor or clinic. They will be able to let you know if you need to carry on taking it.

Hi polycarp,

Septrin is an antibiotic and only needs to be taken if someone has a CD4 count of less than 350. (In the UK it’s only taken until a persons CD4 gets above 200) Once a person has a CD4 count higher than 350 it’s no longer needed as the chances of someone developing opportunistic infections are less.

2. polycarp

why are patients on ARVs in kenya now told to take them without septrin yet they have done so for years more than 10years.