Question

How much do HIV drugs cost in the UK?

Hi, hope much do HIV meds cost in the UK. Does this mean I am just given the cheapest drugs?

Answer

Hi

Thanks for your question.

Drug pricing in the UK is complicated because the prices paid by the NHS are never made public. Also, different regions in the UK negotiate different prices with different companies.

This can make the actual price much lower than the price listed in the British National Formulary (BNF).

The graphic in Table 1 shows the relative costs for different commonly used combinations. This is from the Midlands and East of England region.

It is important to always remember that cost is not the most important factor for deciding treatment. Even the most expensive combinations are very cost effective treatments. Also, every doctor is able to prescribe every HIV drug when this is the best treatment for a particular patient.

Cost does become important when several different combinations are all equally appropriates for an individual person. In this case, NHS prescribing is based on using the least expensive one.

If someone has problems with side effects, switching to an alternative drug should always be easy in the UK.

Source: Midlands & East of England Prescribing Implementation Guidance 2019-2020 (Version 1.0– June 2019 update). Active as of 1st June 2019. This replaces all previous versions.

This answer has a lot more details about cost and access:
https://i-base.info/qa/14152

Note: This graphic in this answer was updated in June 2019 for a question posted in Feb 2018.

Hi Faisal,

Thanks for your story. I’m going to contact you by your personal email.

Best wishes, Roy

2. Faisal

Hello everyone I will tell you my story.
    I make blood test 5 years ago and it’s a positive I was in United States on that time and I take my triumeq until new. I’ll back to my country kuwait on February 2020 and I could not find anyone to dispense my medicine in my country and hard to travel to other country because Corona Virus all airport close and I can’t find it on online .. please help me . Thank you

Hi Elisha,

Do you mean the person who is called the Berlin patient? However, this was not a cure for HIV/AIDS. This patient was treated for blood cancer and was critically ill. He had a stem cell transplant. The survival rate for stem cell transplants is not high. So this wouldn’t be recommended for people who are HIV positive only.

But the side effect of the cancer treatment is that it cured him of HIV. Please see this link http://i-base.info/htb/21336

4. Elisha

why german have aids cure not like ARVs (to those who are living with hiv)

Hi Paula,

If you have an address in the UK, then yes ARVs are free. Of course if you just come here on holiday then no they may not be given to you for free. If you’ve been denied HIV meds or asked to pay for them and you have an address in the UK, do please tell us about it.

6. Paula

That really is untrue if you come to the UK you get it free