Question

I’ve been on meds for 8 months, will my viral load be undetectable?

I’ve been taking ARVs for 8 months. When I was diagnosed my CD4 was 604 and my Vl was 13,008. Due to the pandemic, I’ve not had my viral load checked since I started medication, will it now be undetectable? I’ve due to have it checked next month.

Answer

Thanks for getting in touch.

When someone starts taking ARVs their viral load should become undetectable within 1-3 months of starting treatment. However, for some people it can take slightly longer.

To know for sure if your viral load is undetectable or not, you’ll need to have a test, which it sounds like you’re going to be doing very soon.

Once your viral load is undetectable, there’s no risk to sexual partners, please see here: https://i-base.info/u-equals-u/

Hi Has,

There was never any risk, therefore you didn’t need to take the PEP. You can’t contract HIV from someone when their viral load is undetectable.

2. Has

Goodafternoon i-base management. I need help i have sex with hiv positive woman who was in hiv treatment more than three years condom broke i when to hospital i start take pep within 24 hour.i talk with the girl after one week she told me that she take medicine constant i sent her to the hospital to check her viral load test and she did the test i ask doctor him told me her viral load is very low, i didn’t stop take the medicine i finished take it,after six week of expourse and two weeks after pep i test hiv negative.is these test indicate that i am hiv negative please do me a favour.

Hi HAS,

As your partner has been on treatment for more than 3 months, as long as their viral load is undetectable, there’s no risk. Please see here: https://i-base.info/u-equals-u/

4. HAS

Good days Sir/m my partner was in hiv treatment more than two years.we have sex these night condom broke i withdraw from her change another one and continue.is possible for me to take pep as the girls was in hiv treatment more than to years.