Question

I missed a dose of PEP.

Hi. I am taking PEP and I forgot to take my pill at the exact time I always take it. I remembered in 8 hrs and took the pill. Can I continue to take my pill the exact time I always take it? And does this reduce my chances of not getting HIV? Please help.

Answer

Hi, how are you doing?

Yes you can continue to take PEP at the usual time you do. As you remembered within 24 hours there is not an increased risk of PEP failing,

While it is not advised, missing a dose by a few hours is unlikely to cause a problem. PEP remains in the body for more than 24 hours. As you remembered tot take PEP, the levels within your body would have stayed at a biologically significant level.

If you have another question please ask,

Josh.

1. Josh Peasegood

Hi Martin, if you are having unprotected sex while you are on PEP – unsure of your status, your partner will need to be protected. You can do this by using a condom or starting PrEP: https://i-base.info/guides/prep PrEP is similar to PEP but it contains one fewer drug but is still effective at preventing HIV transmission.

2. Martin

I am on PEP, do I need to start my girlfriend on PEP if we have unprotected sex

Your email address will not be published.