Q and A


How can I access treatment as a student in the US?

I am 20 years old. I am from Bangladesh. I want to study in US for higher education. Can I study and settle there being HIV positive? Even I get permitted, what about my HIV treatment? Because I know HIV treatment in USA is expensive. But I can’t earn that much as a student. What can I do ?


Hi, how are you doing?

Being HIV positive is not a barrier to entry in the US. `There is no restriction and getting a student visa will not be hindered by your status.

Access to treatment requires talking to the university that will sponsor your visa. Health insurance may be included and you can have access this way? If not, searching for local HIV charities in the state that you are intending to stay will be able to help you.



  1. Josh Peasegood

    Hi Sai, please see the answer to the main question on this thread. As i-base is a UK based charity we do not have information about access in the US.

  2. Sai

    I am HIV positive and I want to study for masters in USA and I’ve applied for colleges in USA, I am waiting for admit cards and i20, if I got accepted in one of the university, can I be able to get treatment and also study in that university, Please help me with the answer.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *