Question

I switched PEP…

Hi, I hope this finds you well. I have got a question with regards to PEP.

So I had an exposure to HIV and immediately started PEP (Truvada alone) within 12 hours after exposure. I again visited a healthcare and my treatment was changed to Acriptega (TLD). This was after 55hrs of exposure.

I wish to know the chances of seroconversion for I have developed swollen lymph nodes on the neck on my 10th day. I have been adhering to PEP treatment without failure. I am really worried.

Answer

Hi, how are you doing?

As you started PEP within 72 hours, it is most likely to work. This is regardless of you switching the type of PEP you were on at 55 hours.

While not the most effective, a 2 drug combination like Truvada is still used as PEP and is shown to be effective. Switching to TLD within the time frame is only going to improve how well your course of PEP works.

How risky was your HIV exposure? Chances for seroconversion are low given you started PEP so soon.

Swollen lymph nodes can be a sign of a number of infections. HIV being much less likely than a common cold or even COVID. Have you experienced any other symptoms? A swollen lymph node alone is not enough to be suggestive of HIV.

Josh.

1. Kink

Hello Josh,

We did test and she was positive. I have had swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, headache and a bit night sweat. It’s my 3rd week now. It’s taking a toll on me. Anyway I guess I have to wait and complete my therapy and test.

2. Josh Peasegood

Hi Kink, in this case it is still much more likely that your partner was HIV negative.

In this period waiting for testing, stress can also cause symptoms that mimic seroconversion. This is a link about dealing with fear and anxiety around testing: https://i-base.info/guides/testing/hiv-testing-feelings-of-fear-anxiety-and-guilt

3. Kink

Hello Josh,

I am doing alright.

Thank you so much for your response.

I would term it as high risk given that the other party was not aware of her status so she was not on any medication and we never practiced safe sex. Lesson learned
    So far I am only experiencing a swollen lymph node and some discomfort in my throat. No other symptoms. I tested negative for Covid last week too.

Your email address will not be published.