Question

Why doesn’t i-Base answer questions on HIV testing and transmission?

I have sent several questions about HIV testing and you only send links to information online. Why don’t you answer these questions?

Answer

Answer: Simon Collins

Thanks.

i-Base is a project focused on HIV treatment. Our services are mainly for people who are HIV positive and who want to know about treatment.

We are not a service for people worried about their risk of HIV or about HIV testing. It is not that we don’t care – this is just not what we are set up for.

We understand the need for good information about HIV risks and HIV testing – so we developed two very detailed resources.

1. This FAQ page will answer most questions.
  2. The detailed online booklet goes into more detail about transmission and testing.

Together these resources will answer nearly EVERY question you have about risks of catching HIV and how to test. If you have a question that is not already answered we will still answer you and incorporate the answers into the FAQ page for others.

Because these answers are already online we do not answer testing questions individually. i-Base we just don’t have these resources to do this.

i-Base is an information service and not an advice service – and there is an important difference. We provide easy to understand information that is accurate and up-to-date. This is so that people can then take an active role in their own health.

We are 35 years into the HIV epidemic, so everyone who is sexually active needs to have good information about their health. Just as we encourage HIV positive people to understand their own health, we have the same approach for HIV negative people.

The information is online. If you want the answer you have to read it.

Happy reading …

Note: this question was first answered in September 2016 but it is often updated to keep it as a recent question.

Hi Zama,

Though there has been a drop, this really isn’t something to worry about. Your CD4 is still excellent. Also, CD4s are known to fluctuate.

2. zama

When I started meds my CD4 was 1649. I take them on time. Now my CD4 is
    1396.

4. Jeje

I had unprotected sex on 30th sept. 2016, i was sick after like 3 months, fever and all i took some pills and i was back to normal, after some weeks again i was sick but i started to think i took tap water which was typoid but still i went and get HIV test after 118 days exactly i had sex and it was Negetive. Is that conclusive or do i need to get test again?

Hi Leviathan,

There’s no need to panic, its not possible to transmit HIV in the way that you’ve described.

6. Leviathan

I am not sure im supposed to send an email but I am really bothered and distraught.
    I accidentally spat water onto another person’s eye while drinking. It was just a droplet and I had a mouthsore (small one). I am not sure if there is blood or not. I am HIV + with last viral load of 43copies per ml. I am feeling guilty that I might have transmitted to him my disease. Please help…

Hi Zama,

Its perfectly fine for you to engage in oral sex and sexual intercourse as well. More so because its very likely that your viral load is undetectable. What this means is that the risk of transmission is close to zero, that’s when having sex without a condom.

For more info, please see here:

http://i-base.info/qa-on-the-partner-study/

8. Zama

Hi,

I am HIV positive and have been on medication from the time I found out (22/07/2016) I have a boyfriend who is negative and we have recently been thinking about oral sex, is it safe for us to engage in oral sex?

Hi Ntelanr,

Only people who are positive can transmit HIV. Therefore, if you are negative you did not transmit HIV to your girlfriend.

10. Ntelanr

Can someone infect someone with HIV then tested negative? I went to test with my girlfriend and discovered that she was HIV positive and I tested negative.