Question

Is a negative test after 3 months accurate?

Dear Sir,
I had sex with massage girl on June 08, 2007, she removed the condom from my penis 3-5 minutes before finishing the sex (vaginal sex).
Five weeks (37 days) after the exposure, I got HIV test and the result was negative. 91 days after exposure I got HIV test again for confirmation, the result is negative. My questions are:
1. Does it mean that I am really HIV negative?
2. Should I get HIV test again next December 2007 (6 months after exposure)?

Answer

To question #1: Unless you had another exposure risk during the 91 days period, then yes, the test shows that you are HIV negative.

To question #2: In very rare cases it takes more than 40 days for the body to develop antibodies to HIV that can be picked up by the test. That is why it is a good idea to test again three months after the possible risk, even though the chances of a positive result then are very small.

1. Simon Collins

Discussion on this post is now closed.

Please use this link to ask a new question.
    http://i-base.info/qa/ask-a-question

Please note that i-Base no longer answer questions about HIV testing or HIV transmission.

3. Sandy

1-Sir I have done HIV test after 7 month of exposure that is on 27 Dec 26 is 1st test result was negative
    2-On 27 march 2017 2nd test result was negative
    3- On 27 June 2017 results was negative suggest me
    So should I test again there will be possiblity of hiv positive results please

5. michele

I first had sex in December 31st 2016 and then had sex with another on 22/6/2017 and finally I went for for an Hiv test on 7/7/2017 and I tested negative.
    So should I test again??

Hi Cibi,

Even when someone is on medication for their HIV they will always test positive. This is because the meds control it, not cure it.

7. Cibi

I’m on Atroiza treatment. I don’t have any problem with my treatment. My question is, can I test HIV negative whilst taking Atrozia?