Question

Will “immune boosters” help my CD4 count?

My friend is also on HIV treatment is taking some immune boosters he bought. Would these help my CD4 count too?

Answer

Hi,

HIV treatment (ART) is the only thing that will help make sure your CD4 count goes up or stays stable.

Both you and your friend should be careful about any product that is branded or sold as an ‘immune booster’.

These and other supplements will do nothing to help your CD4 count. As the ingredients are usually unknown, they could potentially be harmful. The advertising is at best misleading and at worst is likely to be lying to scam you out of your money.

Herbs and supplements can also interact with your HIV meds and stop the medicine from working properly.

Before starting ART tell your doctor and pharmacist about any other drugs, medicines or supplements that you are taking.

This online resoure is a really useful way to check for drug interactions.

Hi,

As the above post states, immune boosters aren’t any good. The only thing that’ll increase your CD4 are the ARVs that you’re now taking.