Question

Can I change from breastfeeding my baby to formula milk?

Hi, I am HIV + and I take my ART very well. My baby tested negative on the first day of birth on the second day the results were insufficient but on the 3rd day the results were negative again …..I am breast feeding and giving my baby nevarapine but I am planning on stopping  breast feeding after a month and formula feed because I will not be always around to take care of baby. I am avoiding mix feeding, is this wise?

Answer

Hi

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your new baby. It sound like you are doing an amazing job of looking after your baby and the test results are really good.

Because guidelines for breastfeeding are linked to where you live, including the country and if this is in the city or countryside, please ask your doctor or nurse these questions.

i-Base is in the UK and guidelines in SA are sometimes different.

You are right that if it us important to exclusively use either breastfeeding only or formula milk only. If your circumstance make it important to change this is also usually okay, but your clinic can give you the best information about how and when to do this.

1. Josh Peasegood

Hi Zandile, yes. Congratulations on your new baby. You will be able continue giving your baby Nevirapine. Have you mentioned this to your doctor? This may change the length of time they are given Nevirapine for.

2. Zandile

Hi If I change from breastfeeding to formula can I continue giving the baby neviropine

Hi Pearl,

Feeding guidelines vary depending on where it is that a person lives. In the UK where i-base are based, breastfeeding isn’t recommended.
    If your child is crying a lot, it might be worth taking them to see a doctor.
    Babies born to positive mothers need to be either formula fed or breastfed, they can’t be given both. Your baby is also too young for solid foods.

4. Pearl

Hi in hiv+ and I have been exclusively breastfeeding my baby. Shes almost 3months and she cries a lot as if the breast milk is not making her full anymore, is it safe to give her formula milk/porridge and continue breastfeed?

Hi Xolly,

As you’ll see from the above post, it’s OK to switch. With formula there’s no risk.

6. Xolly

Hi I’m HIv+ my baby is 4 days old, and my baby is taking nevaripine. I’m breastfeeding but wanna change to formula