Question

Is it possible to sleep with someone HIV positive and not get HIV?

I started to sleep with someone who has had HIV since 2018 up until now. Last month I tested negative. Is this possible?

Answer

Hi, how are you doing?

Yes this is possible. The most probable reason is that your partner is on treatment. While on treatment with a viral load below 200, it is not possible to pass on HIV via sex. This means even without a condom or PrEP, there is no risk of HIV transmission. This is explained by U=U. This stands for when people have an undetectable viral load (below 200), it is not possible for HIV to be transmitted.

There are other factors that can influence the risk of HIV transmission. Sleeping with someone who is positive does not mean you will become HIV positive yourself. These factors inc. type of sex, positions and length of time. More are discussed here.

Josh

1. Josh Peasegood

Hi Em, as you have mentioned what you have experienced is not an exposure risk for HIV. As the blister vanished upon touching it, it is nothing to be concerned with. Feeling feverish is a very common symptom of many illness, HIV being the likely. It is much more likely that your fever is caused by the flu or a cold. In cases of stress (feeling anxious around HIV), it is possible that a fever is caused by anxiety.

2. Em

But today, I begin to have feverish feelings since morning to the extent that I had to leave office and canceled journey. What was the blister suggestive of

3. Josh Peasegood

Hi Em, nothing of what you have described is risk for exposure. You are not at risk for HIV. Please follow this link for more information: https://i-base.info/qa/factsheets/hiv-transmission-and-testing

4. Em

Please I did finger a person I later learned unreliably to be positive 4 nights ago and read that it’s near zero risk especially when you don’t have a cut in the fingers. Just right now, close to 4 days after, I used my tongue to discover a swelling like a small blister on my upper lip and ran home anxiously to use mirror. On touching it, it vanished just about 10 mins ago. I have since then being totally anxious. Please what’s going on. Pep is no longer an option