Q and A


Government, confidentiality, volunteering for trials…

I’m 21 years old and have been infected less than 1 year.

I can’t let the government know i have HIV because it will ruin my future, they will not allow me to work like normal..

How much is the treatment for HIV? Is it expensive? Can I secretly get the HIV drugs besides from the CDC? If i get the drug from hospital will they inform the government?

Is there any association or scientist that needs HIV-positive patients for research or testing of new drugs? I willing to do so.



Where do you live? Without knowing the country it is difficult to comment on either government policies on confidentiality or on access to care.

Both these things vary so much depending on which part of the world you live in.

HIV support organisations are usually very careful with confidentiality and your doctor or testing centre should be able to direct you to an organisation close to where you live.

Because you are only recently infected, you may not need treatment for many years.

If and when you do need treatment, your doctor should be able to talk about whether a research study is appropriate for you, or whether is is better to use regular treatment.


  1. Jack

    If you live in the United States all positive HIV tests even though called “confidential”, are reported by law to the state health department and CDC. There is no private privledge medical information between doctor and patient in HIV diagnosis in the US. The testing facility reports you, the doctor reports you and the pharmacy reports you to the state and CDC by name, social security number, date of birth, and physical address. The CDC and state follow your progress or decline in health the rest of your life.

  2. no name

    hi, i’m from singapore


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *